(Macon, GA) — Chip Saye of the Georgia High School Football Daily is listing this Saturday night’s anticipated tilt between Heard County and Fitzgerald as one of the top 10 games of the week in the state of Georgia.
The Braves are ranked #3 by the AJC in Class AA while the Purple Hurricanes are ranked #7.
The game kicks off at 8:00 p.m. Saturday night at Mercer University in Macon.
For directions, a full Braves roster, and the game day itinerary visit the football page at the Heard High School website.
Game capsule shown below courtesy of the AJC.
Heard County at Fitzgerald
When, where: 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Mercer University Stadium, Macon
Records, rankings: Heard County is 0-0 and No. 3 in Class AA; Fitzgerald is 1-0 and No. 7 in AA.
Last meeting: This is the teams’ first meeting.
Things to know:
1. This game matches an up-and-coming program against one of the more well-established ones in AA.
2. Fitzgerald finished in the final top five in the AJC rankings each season from 2007 to 2012, but missed last season.
3. Heard County is ranked in the top five for the first time since 1991.
4. Heard County’s high ranking comes largely from the return of RB/LB Duranta Dunson, who rushed for 2,193 yards and 39 touchdowns and had 106 tackles and four interceptions.
5. Heard also has two all-state candidates on the defensive line, Elijah Toney and Levi Brown. Brown has several mid-major Division I offers, including one from Georgia State.
6. Fitzgerald QB Gerald Morgan is a runner first, as one might expect from a player who wears jersey No. 31. Morgan rushed for 198 yards and two touchdowns in the opening 27-20 victory over Worth County. He was 4-of-13 passing for 42 yards.
7. Linebackers Buck Lundy (eight) and Michal Jackson (seven) were the leading tacklers.
(Photo Courtesy of Rodney East)