October 25, 2014

Fatal accident claims life of 73-year-old woman

Atkisson Fatality(Franklin) — A North Carolina woman was killed Friday afternoon in an auto accident near Franklin.

According to a report issued by the Georgia State Patrol, the single-vehicle crash occurred on Jeff Davis Road near HWY 34 West around 5:00 p.m.

73-year-old Jacqulynn “Jackie” Atkisson, from Wilmington, NC was operating a red 2009 Nissan Rouge when the vehicle left the road in a curve, struck several trees and a rock before overturning.

According to family, Atkisson was accompanied by her two beloved pet dogs, Buddy and Coco. Buddy was also killed during the crash and Coco is reported to be in very serious condition at this time. (EDITOR’S NOTE: We have now learned that Coco also passed away on Saturday)

According to her granddaughter, Rebecca Wood, Atkisson was a graduate of Heard County High School as well as the daughter of Onnie Davis and the step-daughter of former Franklin Mayor Truitt Davis. Wood added that Atkisson was in town visiting but had planned to move back to Franklin soon for her final years.

Wood also shared the following message to her grandmother:

“You were an inspiration to me. You always shared your wisdom to everyone you knew. You have made a long lasting impression on many people’s lives. I will always remember your strength and ambition. You were truly happy to be home and now you never have to leave your place of comfort. We will miss and love you always. Until we meet again in Heaven, Rest in Peace.”~Rebecca Wood

Comments

1. She was very loved by so many people she imspired me in my life you will be. Miss home at last jackie miss ya rip loved you girl lov. Bj

2. Sheila Morton says:

I would like to send my prayers out to the family of this lovely lady. I did not know her but I still care.i know there are no words I can say to make the loss hurt less for u all,I wish I could say something to make it better. I just feel so bad that this happened. Prayers to you all…

3. Darren smith says:

This is so sad, I did not know the lady but my wife and I saw her at piggly wiggly thurs. evening and she looked like she was having a problem getting out of her car so we ask her if she was OK and she said she had back surgery and her back was hurting really bad but I’m OK she said. So sad something happen to this sweet lady

• Rebecca Wood says:

Thank you so much for taking the time to notice her. Although her back surgery was not recent, she had been in chronic pain for a long time as a result of the surgery. The world needs more kind and considerate people like you. My family and I appreciate your kindness. She was a great woman and will be greatly missed. Thank you again! God bless you!

4. Donna H Moore says:

Rebecca, we were at the Piggly Wiggly Thursday and saw her. She was parked down by Family Dollar when we went in. My son in law , Darren Smith, was watching her because she kept changing parking places. When we had come out of the Pig, I noticed she had parked next to the entrance, had her door opened and looked in distress. After circling the parking lot we decided to see if she needed help. I had noticed her North Carolina license plate. My daughter and son in law stopped to make sure she was okay. She assured them that she was fine and it was just her back that hurting so she was taking her time getting out of the car. My heart broke when my daughter just told me about her accident. Please know you are in our thoughts and prayer. Wish I could have known her.
    Darren & Buffy Smith & Donna Moore
    Franklin, Ga.

5. jeniferbrents says:

Thank you to those who tried to help her on Thursday evening. That was so sweet and will bring great comfort to her children and grandchildren. She was a good woman and was very loved. She will be so missed.

6. So sorry to hear rememberthe family well.
    RIP Jackie

7. On behalf of the family, we would like to let everyone know how your prayers and kind words are helping us deal with this horrific accident. We know that Mother wanted to come back to where she and I have always called home. She is now home. My grandparents the Late Honorable Mayor Truitt and Onnie Davis along with our brother Joe, are waiting on her. She will remain in our hearts forever…..Debra Hill Briggs

8. Sheila morton says:

Have you ever not ever known someone but thought about them all day?well that’s how my day was today.. I thought about this lady and her dogs all day today at work. I could not seem to get her off of my mind.so after work I went to where they took her car and the thing that stood out to me was these magnets on the back of her car.they are two paw prints that read who rescued who?my heart sank. Heaven gained another angel. I’m so sorry:(

9. Amber Holdford says:

My Momma Jackie was my mom’s best friend in the whole wide world! Momma Jackie was there to give that hug or that all important advise even if it was something you really didnt want to hear. When I entered her home it always felt like I was truly one of her natural born children. I remember the last visit I had with her I and just come out of the Army and was just starting my police academy. Her words “Well Amber you just can’t get enough excitment in life?” I laughed and she laughed and then she looked at me and said she was proud of me and that she would pray for my safety. Momma Jackie will always be apart of me and my family and I know she is sitting with my grandma in heaven catching her up on what she has missed. Momma Jackie you will be missed here on earth and my heart is heavy, but I know I will see you in heaven. Until then I will keep you in my heart and thoughts!

With All My Love,
    Amber Holdford (Kathy Whitman’s Oldest Daughter)

10. Rachel Stephens says:

We are praying for your family. It’s so hard to loose Someone, but to lose a family member so tragically is even harder. My daughter is friends with Alannah. We are so sry to hear of your loss. Knowing that she is in her eternal home eases the heart and mind. She is now an angle looking over your family and waiting on that sweet day you will all be together again. Prayers for you all and God bless.

11. Pat Goodson McGrady says:

Debbie, Dee Dee and Billy. Don’t know if you will remember me. We knew each other as children. My brother Buddy and Joe were good buddies. I’m so sorry to hear about your Mom. The last time I saw her was at the funeral home when Joe died. She was in such grief that night. Just can’t help but think about the joyous reunion they had. I know you all will miss her terribly. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Pat (Goodson) McGrady

• Pat, I remember you very well and the numerous summers spent at Mr. Hugh’s, how Joe and Buddy were each other’s shadow. When we were home and the rain began to come down, I told everyone that Granny, Daddy Truitt, Joe, and other family members long gone were having a party cause Mother was home. I want to thank you so very much for your prayers as they will help us in the coming weeks to make sense of why this happened..

12. kathy Whitman says:

Jackie is my dear beautiful bestest friend. Together weve laughed , cried, celebrated new life (our grandchildren, great grandchildren) and buried our loved ones. To my Jackie, My heart is broken as I will miss you greatly. You’ve always loved and watched over me on earth , my beautiful friend I just know you will continue to love and watch over me from heaven. I rejoice the day that I join you and all of my loved ones in heaven. Love you my beautiful friend….
    Kathy , Wilmingyon, NC

13. James Marsh says:

DeeDee, Debra & Billy, So Sorry for your loss, I love and will miss Moma Jackie. This world has lost a great lady. Love you all.
    James Ray Marsh