November 26, 2014

Heard County First Grader Killed in Tragic ATV Accident

(Franklin, GA) — A Heard Elementary school first grader was killed in a tragic ATV accident Saturday afternoon at her home located near the Corinth community in southeastern Heard County.

According to a report released by Sergeant Dan Boswell with the Heard County Sheriff’s Office, 6-year-old female Joshalyn “Josh” Baxter died after the ATV she was riding on with her father and brother overturned.

The accident occurred at approximately 2:00 p.m. just outside the family’s home on Hammett Circle.

Boswell stated that Joshalyn’s father, Matthew Baxter, was driving the vehicle referred to as a “mule” and her 12-year-old brother was in the passenger’s seat.

Reports indicate that Joshalyn was riding on the bench seat located on the back of the ATV was not wearing a seat belt or a helmet when the vehicle struck a hill of dirt causing it to roll over.

Boswell and other Heard County EMS workers attempted CPR on the scene but the child was pronounced dead a short time later after being transported to West Georgia Medical Center in Lagrange. No charges are expected to be filed in the accident.

“I would just like to offer my prayers and deepest sympathies to the family at this time,” said Boswell Saturday evening.

Joshalyn is also survived by her mother Robin Gainey Baxter.

Stay tuned to HeardCitizen.com for further information and funeral arrangements as they become available.

Comments

1. Marilyn Palmer says:

Prayers go out to the family. My grandson was in her class last year. So sorry to hear this. She was a sweet beautiful child.

2. Lavonia Garrett says:

This is just so sad! My heart breaks for this family! May God grant them peace as they try to accept and cope with this loss!

3. GOD TOUCH THIS FAMILY, GIVE THEM PEACE AN COMFORT. AMEN

4. I am so sorry for your loss. I can only imagine what your going through. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

5. pennygsteele@aol.com says:

so sorry for your lost send pray out to the family

6. Such a sad traffic story. My prayers are with the family at this time. I know they are distraught at this time. Good bless
    you all

7. Amanda Mcmicheal says:

So sorry to hear this. Praying for the family

8. Lucy Robbins says:

May God comfort this precious angel’s family. My heart breaks for you all. Praying for all who knew and loved her.

9. Diane Langley says:

Dear Lord comfort this family. Put your precious arms around them. Praying for you all.

10. My heart and prayers go out to this familiy. God will be with you all through this. Prayers for all the family and friends. My heart aches and cries for you all. So very sorry for your loss.

11. Heard Countians, words and deeds are needed now and forever more. This family will need your kindness, thoughtful words and prayers today and forever as they are on this earth. The loss of a child is truly the worst. I see it in my wife’s eyes every day. The family will find it almost impossible to keep going, so I ask us all to continue talking, praying, visiting with the Baxter family today, tomorrow, even twenty years from now they will continue to need friends to talk, listen or just sit with at times.

12. Becky Toney says:

Praying for God to comfort Joshalyn’s family and friends at this tragic time. Their loss is heaven’s gain.

13. Jennie Allen says:

I am the mail lady on Hammett Circle and have met this sweet family. My heart goes out to them! Praying for you!

14. Sherrye Ayers-Drew says:

Jodi, I will keep you and your family in my prayers. May God be with during this difficult time. So sorry to hear about this.

15. Really sad news! Prayers for the family!!!

16. Stephanie smith says:

I am so very sorry for your loss my thoughts and prayers are with you in this most difficult time

17. Praying in Jesus Name and through Him asking God to send His Comforter, Amazing Grace, and Peace for this family. While I know God has our days numbered and the scripture below gives insight into death I as a sister, mother, grandmother and great grandmother can’t wrap my mind around losing a child. Praying God’s strength to hold this mother, daddy and brother up in the coming days.
    Isaiah Chapter 57
    1 The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.
    2 He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

18. We here at Academy Sports are praying for our the mother and her family who we know very well.

19. Jennifer ellis says:

This is a tragedy to lose a child especially so young, but never feel it was or may have been your fault. God had a plan to bring his angel home. Praying for your family.