May 24, 2018

Local man killed in tragic accident

Dewey Keith Summerlin

Dewey Keith Summerlin

(Clermont, FL) — A freak accident claimed the life of a Heard County man and two of his co-workers Thursday afternoon in Lake County, Florida just west of Orlando.

Dewey Keith Summerlin, a 34-year-old utility worker and resident of the Centralhatchee community was killed along with the two other men when they were struck be a vehicle while working on a utility pole near an intersection.

Florida Highway Patrol Sgt. Kim Montes reported the collision happened around 1:45 p.m. in Clermont near an area commonly known as Four Corners.

According to the Montes, 92-year-old Ira Caldwell Jr., of Davenport, FL was making a right turn on southbound U.S. 27 when he pulled into the path of 20-year-old Alexandra Schultz, of Clermont.

Troopers said Caldwell struck the side of Schultz’s car, sending it into the shoulder where Summerlin and the other linemen were working.

It was unclear how fast Schultz was driving. The crash remains under investigation, and charges are pending.

Summerlin leaves behind a wife and three young children.

The other two workers killed were Jeremy Bradshaw, 35, of Albany, GA; and Jeffrey Estes, 40, of Ringgold, GA. All three were employed by Service Electric Company of Chattanooga, TN.

Comments

1. Elaine Perry says:

So sorry for all involved and especially the families. May the Lord comfort them.

2. Shari Poole says:

Tragic loss for everyone involved. There should be limitations on the elderly and driving. Don’t wait for a law to be passed but, loved ones should care more.

3. Condolences to Amber and the kids

4. Praying for everyone.

5. Michelle says:

I’m praying for your broken hearts. So so sorry this happened. I will put you all in my heart. I won’t forget you.

6. Bill Carter says:

very tragic. the elderly man driving will be sited for failure to yield right of way. But how fast was other driver going to push /drive other car into workers? Just cause he’s old does not mean he should not drive.

7. prayers for all the family…..such a tragedy

• Robert lummus says:

I think that a person at a age of 70 years or oder needs take a driving test before they renewal of their driver’s license. I am 67 years old an don’t mind taking a driving test.

8. This is my nieces husband and it is just devastating!! His son is 4 and his two girls are like 12 and 9. Just soooo sad. He was such a good husband to Amber and a hands on father! People such as he is hard to come by these days. He will be greatly missed

9. Bless the families Lord and comfort them. Help them understand that some day they will be reunited. Let them put their faith in you…………….

10. Condolences to the family

11. Christy Bryant says:

Jeffrey Estes, 40, of Ringgold, GA is married too. He leaves behind a wife, 5 year old son and a 19 year old daughter whom is expecting her first child in July. Not to mention that he is a only child to his parents whom are still alive. My heart absolutely breaks for all their family and close friends. Prayers!! RIP!!!

• Keith was my husband. Jeff was newer to his crew so I hadn’t met him and wasn’t sure how to get in touch with anyone. Please pass my condolences on to his wife, children, and family. It was a tragic event that I honestly don’t understand. Please know that I have thought a lot about Jeff and Scott’s families.

• Amber, we are so sorry for your loss & the losses of the other two families as well!! It just breaks our hearts. We are keeping you in our prayers. So many lives changed forever that day. A senseless tragedy.

12. Isaiah Chapter 57
    1 The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart: and merciful men are taken away, none considering that the righteous is taken away from the evil to come.

2 He shall enter into peace: they shall rest in their beds, each one walking in his uprightness.

Ecclesiastes Chapter 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

13. Love u daddy we miss u so much love u more than any thing in the world and every body wants u here will I’m typing this I’m crying for u to come back but that is not what happens.God decided that time we went on the slingshot and I remember when we went on the slingshot and I remember when you laughed and he gave me the courage to go on it with you. I was praying Today that I could see because life is hard without you here in every body’s’s today that I could see because life is hard without you here in every body’s heart is split in half because you’re not here and I remember at the campground you put a p heart is split in half because you’re not here and I remember at the campground you put a poll there and we can go see it. At the motorcycle ride who you remember pole there and we can go see it. At the motorcycle ride who you remember you , Jeff ,and Scott and Scott Bradshaw. Bradshaw Bradshaw. Rest in peace. The motorcycle ride we saw three doe Bradshaw. Rest in peace. The motorcycle ride we saw three doves and I told mom that that was you, Jeff, and Scott. Love y’all so much

14. Debra Summerlin says:

we miss him so much and what we would give to bring him back … but we can’t we have to move but we will always cherish the memories