November 18, 2017

Mayor Chapman out on bond, City Attorney releases statement

According to the Heard County Sheriff’s office, as of this hour Franklin Mayor Teresa Chapman has been released on $20,000 bond from the Heard County jail where she turned herself into authorities this morning after being indicted by a grand jury Monday afternoon on one felony count of Theft by Deception (O.C.G.A. 16-8-3) and nine felony counts of Identity Fraud (O.C.G.A. 16-9-121).

According to Captain Jane Olinger with the Sheriff’s department, Chapman’s bond was posted by Free At Last Bonding Company out of Carroll County. Franklin City Attorney David Mecklin released the following  statement this afternoon.

Official Statement by the City of Franklin

“The City has just become aware of the Mayor’s indictment and arrest. At this time we have not had the opportunity to speak with Ms. Chapman to know what her intent is.

We will move expeditiously to assess the situation and take whatever steps may be appropriate to protect the interests of the City of Franklin. All persons are entitled to the presumption of innocence under our State and Federal Constitutions.

At the same time, we are mindful of the distraction that will be caused by the process itself. We will not let the vital interests of the City be ignored while Ms. Chapman deals with the indictment.”~Franklin City Attorney David Mecklin

Comments

1. Is the city attorney serving as her personal attorney? I sure would hope not as it seems that wouldbe a conflict of interest. I would hate to know city residents are having to pick up her tab for personal legal issues.

• Russ Massa says:

No the city attorney only represents the city…

• Francis McClinton says:

Can Teresa go to court and be convicted before the lynch mobs come out pointing their fingers. I know that this is the most exciting thing that has happen in Franklin in a long time, Teresa still have the support of some of the citizens here in Franklin.

2. Laura B. says:

Lynch mob??? The fact is this woman stole from others. She posed as other people and stole money. What she did was wrong…her “supporters” should feel a bit embarrassed.

• For a nation where one of the core tenents is a presumption of innocence until proven guilty, we sure have lost the ability to give anyone the benefit of the doubt.

3. Leigh Ann Rhodes says:

Last time I checked a person was innocent until proven guilty. It’s not a “fact” until proven to be so in a court of law, not the court of public opinion. One of the great things about being an American…

4. You are correct, innocent until proven guilty but I doubt the GBI did a 2 year investigation for nothing. Do you really think she could have filled out applications for 9 people by accident?

• I’m not saying she’s innocent! but I’m not saying she’s guilty either! I would hope that most intelligent people would wait until the trial to find out the FACTS before arguing on hearsay evidence that has not even been presented. Just asking, but, If you were in this same situation, what would you consider as an unbiased opinion. Yours? if so, “Reality” check yourself.

• Actually my opinion is unbiased, I don’t really know Ms. Chapman, don’t live in Franklin, and I really don’t care either way so I guess you could say I’m not emotionally invested in the situation. As far as intelligence is concerned, unless you’re in denial or irrational, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see how this is going to turn out, My prediction is a plea deal if she and her attorney are smart. Who is arguing evidence? I don’t think the Grand Jury would have handed down a 10 count indictment unless there was some hard evidence. But hey, what do I know???

5. michelles. says:

@ reality….AMEN!!

6. Reality says:

Guess my prediction was right.