December 5, 2020

Chief Blue: Youth bonfire causes Glenloch barn fire

(Glenloch) – At 3:47 p.m. On Sunday March, 10 2013 Heard County Fire and Emergency Services were dispatched to a reported brush fire at 170 Dennis Rd.

While en route to this call, firefighters were notified that a barn was on fire at 3195 Glenloch Rd. On arrival, firefighters found the barn fully involved with heavy black smoke. The barn is owned by Laura Walker of 3195 Glenloch Rd.

An investigation revealed that some youth had a bonfire the night before at 170 Dennis Rd. When they returned the next morning the fire was still smoldering. This re-ignited causing the grass fire which in turn caused the barn fire.

During the firefighting operations one Heard County firefighter was treated and transported to Tanner Medical Center in Carrollton for heat exhaustion and dehydration. The firefighter was released that evening with no serious injuries.

The Heard County Fire Department would like to remind everyone to be safe when burning outside. Most outdoor burning requires a burn permit from the Georgia Forestry Commission. Any fire that is set should be monitored by an adult until it is completely out.

Press release issued by Chief Scott Blue of the Heard County Fire & Emergency Services.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: