September 21, 2020

Dr. Michael Henry Eley

Dr. Michael Henry Eley, PhD., 77, passed away July 30, 2020.

Michael was a professor at UAH for 32 years.

He was originally from Georgia.

He was a graduate of UGA before he began his tenure at UAH.

He is survived by his wife, Betty; two children, Cheree and Tim; sister, Deborah; and five grandchildren.

A Memorial Service will be at a later date.

Valhalla Funeral Home of Huntsville, AL is in charge of the arrangements.

Comments

1. Judy Miller says

My deepest condolences to the family. Mickey was the only one of our Heard County High School Class of 1961 to receive a PhD degree. He was always faithful to come to our reunions and we will miss him. From Thomas Miller

2. Steve Wortham says

I am so sorry to hear of Mickey’s passing. Jean and I send our most sincere condolences to Betty and their family. Mickey and I were friends even before I started to school. I will always remember the many days we spent hunting and exploring in the woods around Centralhatchee. He was my friend and I will miss him.

Steve Wortham

3. James E Knight says

As a teenager Mickey Eley loved playing pool at Uncle Willard Vines pool hall in Franklin. He was a great shooter and would frequently challenge players like Jerry Nutt and Gene Watts the pool ball racker at the time. Mickey lost most of the games but would never shy away from a challenge. We nicknamed him ” the hairy one.” One day he mentioned he would like to sell his 1956 Mercury parked outside. He had purchased the car in hopes of refurbishing it, torn out the headliner and painted the entire car with a rusty color primer. I immediately fell in love with his car an came up with his asking price of 600 dollars. The car was a beauty an loped along like a typical dragster. When it rained one had to jack up the volume on the radio.
    One Saturday afternoon Gene Watts and I decided to drive it over to the dragstrip in Alabama to watch the races. We were searching for a place to park when two guys walked up and asked if we were entered in any of the races. Both seemed to like my car and asked to see under the hood. We raised the hood an both remarked sarcastically, ” a damn flathead.” But I loved the car and could have cared less about the size of the motor.

Buddy Knight

4. June Jackson says

So sorry to hear about Mickey. I know he will be missed greatly by his
    family and friends. We were related through my grandmother,
    Claudia Eley Jackson and I graduated high school with Deborah. My
    Condolences to all who loved him.

5. Cheryl Gore Pollard says

So sorry.prayers for the family.

6. Ken and Trish McClain says

Betty…So sorry to hear of Mickey’s passing. May God’s Blessings be with you and your children during this very difficult time.