(Franklin) — According to Heard County Fire Chief Steve Wirth, Sunday evening’s bad weather is to blame for a house fire which left a local family’s home in ruins.
Reports indicate the call came in at 8:48 p.m. Sunday about the house fire at 4151 Pike Road just south of Franklin.
The structure sustained heavy fire and water damage due to a lightning strike.
The residents were home at the time of the fire, but fortunately were able to escape without injuries before fire and EMS units arrived. The property is owned by Nina Cosper.
Fire units remained on the scene for five hours putting out hot spots.
According to a family member, the house was uninsured and everything was a total loss. If you would like to donate to the family visit this link to make a paypal donation.
Monday Apartment Fire
Another structure fire was reported on Monday. At 4:51 p.m., the Heard County Fire Department was dispatched to 252 Buckeye Road in eastern Heard County for a reported apartment fire.
When units arrived they found an apartment attached to a garage on fire. The fire was contained to the apartment.
The apartment sustained heavy fire and water damage, while the garage sustained smoke damage.
The fire started in the kitchen area and spread to the rest of the apartment. The apartment is owned by Alice Coggins.